Saturday, January 25, 2014

Homemade sponge daubers and homework for class

Hi everybody,

I want to throw a great big thank you to the Frugal Crafter (you can find a link to her page on the right side of this blog).  She did a video some months back on how to make spray mists and sponge daubers.  So I set out this week asking a friend of mine to keep all of her pop bottle caps for me and then headed to the dollar store to pick up make-up sponges.  Holy cow these were really easy to make and work wonders on your crafts (not to mention being way less expensive).

Here is a shot of all the daubers I made in about 15 minutes, 28 in all. 
 
Each dauber will get a number that corresponds to the individual ink pad that will be used with it.  They hold and transfer the color just like you get with the higher more expensive daubers.
 
Now when you tear the sponges apart you get that little ridge that you see down the middle of the above picture.  It will not affect your project and will eventually fall off. 

Now on for the fun part - I am taking a class on StencilingJennifer McGuire is one of the teachers.  She talked about different ways to get more out of your stencils - one of them is to turn your stencil over and continue the pattern.

I have this cute stencil from Heidi Swap, the diagonal stencil is the one that I used along with four different stamp pads from Stampin-Up (Pretty in Pink, Summer Sun, Lavender Lace and Ballet Blue), the sentiment is from Simon Says Stamp ( Very Special).

Here is what I made for my homework assignment for day one (the colors on the 2nd card are a little lighter because of the lighting). 


 
Hope you learned a little something today, until next time - Happy Crafting.

 

2 comments:

  1. I'm here visiting from the Stenciled class, checking out the cards that used this technique. Yours turned out so pretty with those spring colors! I am just amazed how this technique yields these patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is brilliant!! I never seem to have enough sponge daubers and they keep going "missing" too! Just wanted to pop over and say you won my anniversary blog candy!!! See my blog post! http://redcardcorner.blogspot.com/2014/05/winner-3-year-anniversary-blog-candy.html

    ReplyDelete